Chandler offers free tax preparation for Tempe, Gilbert, Mesa and Chandler. A great service.
Tax season has arrived and Chandler’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program is ready to help residents file their taxes.
Chandler’s Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) campaign helps working families who earned less than $56,000 in 2019 with free tax preparation and filing services. For the second year in a row, the City has partnered with Mesa United Way to offer assistance at more East Valley locations, including Tempe, Mesa and Gilbert.
Nine tax preparation sites located in and near Chandler will operate starting Monday, Jan 27, through Tuesday, April 14. Free tax assistance will be available on a walk-in basis at the following locations, with the exception of one site that will take appointments only.
· The Chandler CARE Center, 777 E. Galveston St. Noon-4 p.m. Fridays; 9 a.m. to noon Saturdays This site will be closed Feb. 15, March 13–21 and April 10–11.
· AZCEND Chandler, 345 S. California St. 4–8 p.m. Tuesdays
· Buddhist Tzu Chi Foundation, 2145 W. Elliot Road 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays
· Chandler-Gilbert Community College, Sun Lakes Center, 25105 S. Alma School Road 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Fridays
No walk-ins will be accepted at this location. To schedule an appointment, call 480-895-9270, ext. 111. This site will be closed March 9–15 and April 10.
· Salvation Army, 61 E. Saragosa St. 6–9 p.m. Wednesdays
· AZCEND Gilbert, 132 W. Bruce Ave. 4–8 p.m. Thursdays
· Chandler-Gilbert Community College, Pecos Campus2626 E. Pecos Road, Room LIB-102 6–9 p.m. Tuesdays This site will be closed March 9–15.
All sites will prepare basic tax forms on a first come, first served basis (with the exception of the Sun Lakes location). Interpreters also are available at some sites to assist Spanish-speaking residents. All volunteers are certified with the Internal Revenue Service and have completed the VITA training program.
When visiting a VITA site for free tax preparation, all taxpayers must bring several items with them including W-2 forms, photo identification, Social Security cards (including those of all dependents) and more. Residents are encouraged to view the complete list of what to bring at chandleraz.gov/VITA. The website also has locations of all East Valley VITA sites serving the community through Chandler’s partnership with Mesa United Way.
Chandler residents making less than $66,000 a year can use Myfreetaxes.com, a self-paced, step-by-step guidance to file tax returns online for free. Learn more about this free service by watching this video online: youtu.be/oZuyqnkhhlc.