We all work differently. Some like to sleep in, or just plain need extra sleep and some just need a little. One person likes to start off their day with a five-mile run while another enjoys gentle yoga and a third thinks no way and is still in bed with her second cup of espresso at noon.
Here are some ideas I have put together. Remember there is no right or wrong. Pick the ones that work for you and combine with others to make it a productive and stress-free morning.
- Start with Coffee. Why not. No sugar please, research shows it’s not bad for you.
- Take a cold shower. Will you like it? Nope, but it will help you wake up and start your day.
- Meditate. It’s the most commonly recommended addition to your daily routine. Once you add it to your routine you will not ask why.
- Be grateful. Is your cup half empty or half full? Being grateful will also rewire your brain to more easily see the positive in life.
- Read good news. Science shows just five minutes of negative news can impact your mood all day, and you can probably get away with just the headlines once a day
- Keep a dream journal. We all have dreams and hopes, it will raise your spirits.
- Make your bed. I love getting into a made bed, and this will set you up for success for the rest of the day.
- Cuddle with someone you love. Always recommended.
- Listen to music. This is the perfect morning playlist, it soothes the soul.
- Process email. I know, let it go. Most high achievers disregard the advice but if you are a cross your T’s Dot your I’s kinda person, you will need to mark this one off the list.
- Open the curtains and welcome the day. Take in the sunshine. Embrace the moment and take a deep breath.
- Take your dog for a walk. This is a great way to get some much-needed exercise while listening to music and reflecting. Fido will love it.