Many shopping and entertainment venues here in Phoenix offer FREE entertainment, movies, live music, and other events to help the whole family enjoy their visit. With our lovely winter weather, people enjoy staying outside even in February and March. Bringing the partner or family out to relax in one of these upscale environments is a great way to get out of the house without breaking the bank.
The venues below offer free movies and live music throughout the year. After a nice walk in a park, you can bring your family here and relax on the lawn or in their comfortable patio furniture. Listen to talented musicians, or enjoy a family favorite movie. Schedules below are subject to change.
Centrally located in downtown, the Arizona Center is a great spot to visit after spending time seeing some of the other downtown attractions.
- Friday, April 26, 2019, at 7:30 pm: Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure
- Also, join them for an Excellent Adventure Pub Crawl starting at 5:30 pm.
Desert Ridge Marketplace in north Phoenix has a family movie night every other Thursday. They have ample places to sit and enjoy the outdoors, with fireplaces, patio umbrellas, and splashpads for the kids.
Movies start at 6:30 pm near Barnes & Noble. For more information, click here.
- Thursday, April 18, 2019, 6:30 pm: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
- Thursday, May 2, 16, 30, 2019, 6:30 pm: To be announced
- Thursday, June 13, 27, 2019, 6:30 pm: To be announced
They also have live music on Fridays and Saturdays, from 7 pm to 9 pm at the Splashpad and 7 pm to 10 pm on the District Stage. Here are some upcoming shows:
If you’re over in the East Valley, or looking for a reason to spend an afternoon at Tempe Town Lake and then have something else to do, Tempe Marketplace is your perfect spot. There are comfortable places to sit, fire pits, and FREE live music Fridays and Saturdays from 7 pm to 10 pm, and even sometimes in the middle of the week. It’s easy to get to, right off the 202 near the 101.
- Friday, April 19, 2019: Insomniacs (punk rock)
- Saturday, April 20, 2019: The Illumin80s (80s cover)
- Friday, April 26, 2019: Sunset Voodoo (alternative rock)
- Saturday, April 27, 2019, Noon to 5 pm: Rock n Roll High School (classic rock)
- Saturday, April 27, 2019: Ratio (funk, soul, R&B)
- Friday, May 3, 2019: Zeppapotapuss (guess what they play)
- Saturday, May 4, 2019: Guitarras Latinas (Latin)
Other fun events:
- Saturday, April 20, 2019, at 9:30 am, Phoenix Mercury’s Hip Hop Squad final auditions
- Saturday, April 27, 2019, 11 am to 5 pm, Festival of Street Paintings + Chalk Murals: admire local artist’s work and create your own
For more upcoming shows and information about the performers, click here.
FREE outdoor live concert. Food trucks, shaved ice, and fun for the whole family. Bring a chair or blanket to enjoy great music from local bands in Ahwatukee.
- Saturday, April 20, 2019, 5 pm to 8 pm
You know the OdySea as the surprising desert aquarium, but they also offer FREE outdoor movies. Go experience “Movies in the Desert” presented by Cox, a free family event with music, games, and tons of prizes beginning at 5:00 pm. The movie will start at 6:30 p.m., but be sure to get there early to get a seat. There are also plenty of options to get something to eat. For more information, click here.
- Saturday, May 11, 2019, 6:30 pm, Little Mermaid
They also have other free and inexpensive fun family events, like:
Cultural Connections Concert Series: Beat the Feet – Hip-hop dancers and capoeira crews demonstrating the skills and the beat through dance in a FREE show for all ages.
- Saturday, May 4, 2019, 1 pm to 5 pm
Splash Bash – While not quite free at $5 a ticket (or $10 for all three days), this event will be a great way to kick off your summer, with giant water slides (for kids of all ages), endless foam. and a water squirter battle zone.
- Saturday through Monday, May 25 to 27, 2019, 11 am to 4 pm
Another great place to take the family is Biltmore Fashion Park, near the famous Arizona Biltmore Hotel on East Camelback. Earlier in 2019, they showed movies every Saturday evening in February, and had music every Sunday afternoon and some Saturdays, on the Center Lawn. Their calendar has gotten quiet for the time being, but who knows what will pop up.
- For more information, click here.
Their 2019 concert season is over, but Sunday A’Fair at Scottsdale Civic Center Mall, presented by Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts, has become a staple event since it began more than 30 years ago, transforming the park into a space that picnickers and art aficionados alike enjoy, and providing music lovers with an opportunity to hear the best Arizona-based artists for a relaxing afternoon of great entertainment. A pop-up arts market and fun activities for children and families will change each Sunday, making no two A’Fairs the same.
Bring a blanket and sit on the lawn to enjoy great food, friends, and free live music performances. Check out the delicious food from the grill, gourmet desserts, beer and wine, and non-alcoholic offerings for purchase, or bring your own picnic to the park.
- For details about performers, click here
Phoenix, AZ 85050
Phoenix, AZ 85050
Tempe, AZ 85281
Scottsdale, AZ 85256